Friday, August 18, 2006

When you gotta go....

I'm sorry, but you just GOTTA go... Again, I'm sorry, but it was warm, calm and sunny all day. I wanted to be out running with every sinew in my body. And the chance to run with Allie on such a fine evening was too good an opportunity to turn down.

Sure, I had to negotiate. Only an itty-bitty run, only half an hour. I was negotiating my run with you, but I was also making a bargain with my hip. Let me do this little thing and I won't run again until Monday. Well, unless it's as beautiful on Saturday, and then I may have to test a little trail run around the Sanctuary.

Oops - did I say that?

So, a gentle amble up Bowen, a saunter down Tinakori, a crawl down Thorndon Quay, and a few minutes spent dodging pedestrians during rush-hour on Lambton Quay. 28 minutes, 43 seconds. I kept up my end of the bargain, and I stretched. I even kept the time up on my stop watch incase I was busted on my return.

So the damage? My hip is slightly sore, but the foam roller after the run helped, and it's actually better than it was this morning. The chocolate and two bottles of cider I had tonight almost certainly did more harm.

And received in return? The peace of mind that comes from asking of your body and having it respond. The satisfaction of a goal well met.

So I don't regret a thing. Not one itty bit.

No comments: