Friday, August 29, 2008

Type A

I have sometimes wondered why I got so badly hooked on running and then on this whole fitness business in general. I have a wide variety of interests, including poetry writing, music and conservation. In the past it was Budhism that captured my imagination. I don't have any particular talent for running, so exactly why has it become so central to my existence?

The closest I've ever been able to come to an answer is that running provided me with a series of goals to work towards. Once I'd met one milestone there was another to aim towards. I like challenge, I like success and I like reward. Running (and now cycling) provides me with all of those.

Unfortunately, being Type A does not make for an easy, settled life. I know the things that are important to me and I am ambitious. It's not easy for me to sit still for too long if I can see an open door in front of me. If I can see a path but the end is hidden around a corner then I will be driven mad with curiosity to see what lies ahead. This isn't to say that change doesn't scare me, and I still have a fear of being caught in a situation from which I am unable to escape. Financial risk, for example, is particularly difficult for me because I associate a steady income with security.

Type A has, however, struck again. I have tentatively pushed at a door to see if it can be opened. I have stepped out onto the ice to see whether it will hold my weight. It seems I'm not ready yet to settle for the easy option.

If things work out then you'll be hearing a lot more about my latest challenge. If things work out then you'll be one of the first to know!

No comments: