Monday, January 12, 2009

Beautiful, beautiful ride


Hannah at the top of Makara Hill

I rode the Makara loop tonight with Julia and Hannah. It was a beautiful, beautiful Wellington evening. The low sun turned the fields of Ohariu Valley a soft shade of gold and the hills rippled with shadow and light like a McCahon painting.


Waiting at the top of Makara Hill

We had a headwind climbing out again but nothing like the gales I rode through last time with the Gearshifters. I spent the entire ride smiling and wondering at the scenary. My only issue was a lack of food which caused me to blow up ever so slightly as we cycled towards Johnsonville. I was too happy to really let it get to me though.

I love Wellington and I love cycling in Wellington. Evenings like this make the scary rides through high winds totally worth it. The payoff on a good day is immense.

I guess that right now I'm still more of a cyclist than a runner. Let's hope for an equally beautiful evening on Wednesday so that I can even the score.

3 comments:

Calyx Meredith said...

Do you work for the Wellington Tourist Bureau? Because you should. Every post you write has me wanting to come visit! Even when you post about the weather being bad - it sounds beautiful and exciting!

Anonymous said...

sigh....

Pip said...

Trust me, I was thinking of you as we were cycling along knowing how much you would have loved to have been there! Think how much fun we'll have when you do eventually come back to New Zealand ...