Sunday, October 22, 2006

Cat Burglar

It was a soggy day in the Sanctuary today, and I was definitely living in my head. My mental processes were ticking overtime, whether to block out the general discomfit, to resolve some issues, or just simply to allow myself some pleasurable distraction, I'm not sure.

Despite it being a quick visit it was productive. Over the course of three hours I identified that one of our females is still incubating her eggs, another has just laid her second egg, and a third nest is still ready and waiting for laying to begin. I was about to sit down to start some feeder observations when I looked down at my pink hands, so cold they could barely hold the pen. My notebook was so damp I couldn't really write in it anyway, and the water had seeped through my polyprop leggings. I had one of those 'what the heck am I doing' epiphanies and hightailed it back to the car.

A hot shower, some curried kumara soup, and time on the sofa with a newpaper and my IBook seemed in order. The rain has continued steadily all afternoon, and the temperature guage in the hallway was sitting on 12.5 until the central heating kicked in 45 minutes ago. Someone forgot to tell the weather that it's not winter any more.

Tiss has provided the day's entertainment. She's developed a fascination with my clothing. Last night it was my expensive Elle McPherson bra. At 5am she was running around our bedroom with something, and this morning I discovered my good Asics running tights half-dragged into the little space under the climbing post. All day she has been bringing in a succession of clothing. I've rescued my favourite Pagani top, my good Orca running singlet and a series of other choice items. I have to hand it to her, she has good taste.

Right now Tiss is sitting in front of the TV watching the sports news. It appears our little moggie is a fan of rugby. The Burmese are far too high class for that kind of carry-on.

This was supposed to be a rest weekend, but Friday night's Jam class and the Attack class I treated myself to yesterday put paid to that. Hamish and I have been together for around 10 years, give or take a few weeks. We usually celebrate our 'anniversary' every Labour Weekend. There's a bottle of bubbly chilling in the fridge, but really this celebration has been pretty low-key. If the weather stays the way it does I hope to celebrate by spending most of tomorrow in bed. It's Hamish's turn to cook breakfast. I might have to drag him down to the pool in the afternoon though, or I'll get in trouble with Lesleigh. Mmmm.... spa!

He swears he does read this, so I guess I'll take the opportunity to thank the Yeti for 10 great years. He put up with a lot over thanks to Addisons lurking around in the background. He hung in there through the bout of depression and the general health issues that kicked in not long after we were married, and didn't complain (that much). I'm really glad to have him in my life, and I'm glad that I'm in a place right now where I can give back some of that love. Here's to the bottle of bubbly in the fridge and weekends in bed!

No comments: