Sunday, July 23, 2006

Hmmm, reading my last couple of posts I seem to have developed a bit of an obsession with the word 'deep'....

Hamish vj'ed at a party last night and didn't get home until 10am. I ended up spending a quiet night at home in bed with three cats pressed up against my back. I don't think I moved that much - I was probably hunched up trying to keep warm myself. The forecast was for snow to 200m, but I don't think it was as bad as that, although we certainly did have a lot of hail. I was hailed on all the way from my office to Soundline when I was walking there to get a lift home with Hamish after work. I did have a lot of dreams though. Nearly everyone was in them - even one of the sales guys from the gym whom I've never spoken to before. Go figure...

I lay in bed between dreams listening to the rain and thinking that I was crazy to be contemplating running this morning. Then of course I woke to another of those (freezing) gorgeous Wellington days. Now, here's the catch. I wasn't supposed to be running - my physio wants me to take a week off. But I'd organised this running group, Duck was planning on being there, and it was too good a morning to let go. I figured I'd do a light flat run then quit for the rest of the week.

Well, I made it down Thorndon Quay to the bottom of Tinakori Rd, then it dawned on me that this was not a smart idea. I let Duck know I wasn't supposed to be out, and of course got ordered to turn around and walk back to the gym. I was feeling very stupid, but it had warmed up quite a bit and there were lots of people in town for the All Blacks/South Africa game. It was lovely around the waterfront and walking back didn't seem that much of a hardship. There was plenty to keep me occupied.

Of course when I got back to the gym Duck gave me another telling off. I'm relegated to the cross trainer for the rest of the week. Sigh. Feels like a week in purgatory. But I have to get this injury sorted and it's not going to come right while I'm still aggravating it. I guess I'm scared that it won't come right and the running will have to stop all together, or for months rather than a week or two. By stopping I'm actually having to admit I have a real problem. At the moment I can hop like a frog on my left leg, but it's a real effort to hop on my right. I'm not sure how much is this injury and how much is the Thursday weights session. It scares me a little that my right leg seems to be so weak, and I don't like the ache in my quad. But I feel like I've improved even just this afternoon, so I'll keep wearing flats, keep taking it easy, and see how things go.


No comments: