Saturday, September 29, 2007

Spare a thought for the monks

One of the positive things about a week on the couch is the time that it has given me to slow down and think about things again. It's fair to say that life this year has been little more than work and exercise. I've been able to spend the last few days rediscovering my social conscience. Primarily that has involved reading blogs such as Tree Hugger, Celsius and Gristmill. I've been following up on the local Wellington Green movement, deciding how to vote in the local body elections, and just becoming more aware of the world outside of the gym in general.

However there's one news story that is weighing heavily on my mind today. Spare a thought for the monks in Burma (Myanmar). This story puts the current conflicts into context.

If my lungs are still too full to run on Monday then I'll probably be at the Wellington Buddhist Centre instead. It feels like the right time to rediscover myself in a puja and to send out a little loving kindness to the Burmese monks..

No comments: