Thursday, August 09, 2007

Poetry Thursday: Divine Inspiration


The Fall

What were you
before you fell,
your wings floating,
the weight of them
cast from you,
soul memory carrying
the wrench of it all?

When you stood in the
light did you choose
this ungracious descent?
They sent you down
for the sin of prophetic
fulfilment and tore
from you all that
they had wished you
to become.


No explanations for this one, other than a sudden interest in tales of angels and their half-human offspring. I thought that this poem was in need of another verse, but apparently I was wrong.

More Poetry Thursday writers here.

7 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

I like the photo.

I love the questioning tone of the poem too.

patti said...

I really, really loved this. It spoke to me for some reason. A fallen angel, so beautiful, yet so sad.

Constance Brewer said...

Very nice. A deep subject, wondering about angels...

paisley said...

it definitely makes true my desire never to be an angel,, fickle bunch they sound like....

Crafty Green Poet said...

in a sense aren't we all fallen angels?

Anonymous said...

One or two words might be a little off (to my ear), but there is a great downward motion to this poem that compliments the subject matter very well. Thanks.

Tumblewords: said...

So much unknowing is written here - thoughts are stirred. Nice!