Saturday, March 17, 2007

Inspiration


There is a small girl running through my dreams. Can you see her? She is maybe two years old, no more than three. She is wearing a sleeveless white cotton dress. She is testing her newfound agility as she flies across the grass. She is giggling to herself. Her hair is white blonde and wispy long against her neck. I'm not sure why she has insisted on introducing herself to you today, but here she is. She has, of late, been a corner of my imagination, a source of my inspiration. I have found myself trying to understand the meaning of her.

I write to test the meaning of things on the world. The thoughts that mull around inside this skull of mine find their way through my body's cellular structure and out through my fingers. Often I am sitting at my desk at work, gazing out the window at the insurance offices next door, or up the hill towards the Turbine spinning on the ridge. I keep a directory of poetry on the personal drive of my office computer, and email it to my home email address so that I can post it on my blog.

I write about the physical world around me. I write about the wind, the bush, the sun and the rain. I try to connect myself to a larger system than myself. Who am I in this place? Where am I in this place? When I was a teenager I wrote about people, and I positioned myself in relation to them. Now the people are still there, but I do not find a need in my writing to link myself to them. My link to people is instead my work itself, and the public posting of that work. Although there is that little girl, who seems to have taken up residence here next to me. I will have to take the time to get to know her.

What inspires you?

6 comments:

Pacian said...

An evocative and mesmeric piece of writing here, methinks.

:-)

Regina said...

I think we all need to find that little girl or little boy- the child inside of us can find inspiration anywhere...
Thank you for sharing her!

gautami tripathy said...

It made a great reading. I could relate with this. Anything can inspire us.


gautami
Fillip

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Yes, I can see her, Pip. You are using your creative writing to prompt a wealth of self-awareness from within. And that little girl is your muse...there to help you. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow! this is really great! I agree with the others -- if we can just find that little inspiring girl or boy inside...

Unknown said...

Our inner child is a great source of inspiration. Very well-done.