Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Phlipper...


Hamish emailed me some photos of my new obsession today, so you get to have some cute animal gratification as well! We present Louis on the stairs for your viewing pleasure...

I fought my way to the pool tonight for another lesson with Lesleigh. Given the gales and rain I decided to catch a bus, but it's quicker to walk at that time of night.

I had to guiltily admit that I hadn't been to the pool against since the last lesson, but it really didn't seem to make a difference to my progress. Tonight was one of those golden break-through nights. I aqua-jogged through the hoards, I floated, I kick-boarded to the ladder. Nothing was too difficult.

As a final treat Lesleigh got me to put on a pair of flippers, and I flew down the pool with my kickboard extended. I was instantly in love. This was great fun! I would have continued, but there was a log-jam in the lane and there didn't seem to be much point in trying.

I had decided that I was going to ask Lesleigh about speeding up the pace a bit and getting into some real swimming. However Lesleigh was as in tune with my readiness as ever. We've arranged to have another lesson on Saturday when the pool is a little quieter. We're actually going to start some real swimming - with arm movements and everything (she says, with eyes wide open). I'm so ridiculously excited. Perhaps I really will be swimming with the Women's Multis squad on the 21st. It may be a bit much to expect myself to swim a whole length, but if I work really hard perhaps it will be possible. It's unlikely we'll be in the pool that first week anyway.

I was replying to a meme my sister sent me last night. One of the questions was "what is your biggest fear"? Once it would have been going underwater. I had to think really hard, but I couldn't come up with anything that I was truly afraid of. Um, yay!

After that golden lesson everything seemed good. I walked back to town against the strongest galeforce winds I can remember with a pair of flippers in my hands. I was blown sideways at every step. I laughed myself stupid the whole way. It was ridiculous fun. Some days life is perfect in the oddest ways.

2 comments:

leonie said...

look at how you've grown girl. so very very proud of you!

Pip said...

:) Not bad really... pretty damn good actually!