Wednesday, April 08, 2009

A valid excuse this time ...

We stayed at Lake Tekapo last night and thankfully we rented a cabin and didn't break out the tent. We spent the night at the hot pools with the temperature steadily dropping. When we went to bed at around 10.30 it was raining pretty hard. At 2.30a.m. I woke up and, realising that the rain had stopped, decided it would be a good time to make a dash for the bathroom. I opened up the cabin door and .....

There were big fat flakes of snow pouring down from the sky. In early April.

When I woke again at 7 there was a good four or so inches of snow on the ground. Poor Cleo, on the bike rack on the back of the car, was coated. Pretty much every person on the campsite was walking around with a bewildered grin on their faces. It was incredibly, stupendously beautiful.

So yeah, I didn't run today, but I think I had a reasonably good excuse. I know some of you American types run right through the snow, but I'm a thin blooded North Island Kiwi, and I don't have appropriate snow-running gear.

Today, I was a bit of a wimp.

(Photos of the unseasonable snow dump to follow)

3 comments:

Sass said...

Heh I was just talking with my flattie about your snow vs run experience while training for a marathon:)

Mike said...

I think my blood must be thinning out. No snow in Tauranga but wind must be blowing up from your way cos I'm feeling cold :(
Still in shorts though :)

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Thanks for your comment - I was actually treated for anxiety for a while before I started running, and that was the only thing that kept it at bay, so your comment was interesting. We already know it causes depression, so why not anxiety, since there's so much overlap between them.