Sunday, June 29, 2008

Cold, Whimper ...

It is horrific here! Winds of up to 140kmph are roaring in from the South. The Link air service was cancelled after two people got blown over walking from their aircraft to the terminal. The ferry services are cancelled. It is 10 degrees in the hallway and the rain is pouring down outside. Normally when it's this cold I would go to the gym to get warm, but right now even the thought of stepping outside the front door and walking up to the car seems like a cruel form of punishment. So instead I'm watching triathlon on television and thinking.

It's always like this at this time of year. Last year it was Ironman Wisconsin. This year it's Coure de Alene. Ironman race reports make me cry. Add to that my conversations with Dave during our run on Friday and ...

Put me on a bike. Get me off the bike and into a pair of running shoes. I could totally rock a half-Iron. I know that. Train for it and it will happen. So why aren't I out there doing it? I've let myself down by failing to tackle the swim. I let my demons get in the way of the water. I'm going to be so disappointed in myself if I let another summer season go by without a swim out to the pontoon, if I don't get to the point of being able to swim laps of Freyberg. So where should I really be this afternoon? In the pool doing drill. In the spa warming up again.

I've been saying that the next few months are all going to be about the bike, but in reality they can't just be about the bike. Once Taupo's over I'll be kicking myself if I'm not ready for at least a sprint triathlon. Get in the pool Pip! Swimming will be great crosstraining, and the Gearshifters rides even finish at Freyberg, so there's really no excuse.

In other news - I'm fitting in one more half marathon before Gearshifters. There's a flat, fast race around Palmerston North in mid-August. I've also decided to wait a little bit longer before buying a bike. That EMC2 will be there in a couple of months.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am still trying to understand why you would buy a new bike when you have one you can use for free until i get back?!

Pip said...

Um, because this bike's a third of the weight of either of ours and the componentry's several steps up. Plus your bike's, well, your bike. I really appreciated the offer, don't get me wrong, but it really is YOUR bike, not mine, and it doesn't feel right riding it somehow! Which sounds ungrateful, which it honestly isn't!